What is a School Council?
A school council is a group of pupils who are elected to represent the views of all children to improve their school. Each year voting takes place for the children who have been campaigning to be elected to the School Council.
What does it do?
• A school council meets to discuss and sort out problems and ideas. These may include school lunches, behaviour or ideas for fundraising events.
• Members of the school council will be responsible for carrying out the ideas that have been agreed, such as planning charity events, meeting with governors or other communities, and putting forward views of other children in the school.
What jobs are there?
Each year, a school council is elected. The council will then meet to elect officers such as:
• Chair –
• Treasurer –
• Secretary –
What makes a good School Council?
A good school council is one that represents the views of all children and gets things done. These are some of the things that make our school council effective:
• Regular meetings
• Good communication between council members and our school
• Having a suggestion box so that any pupil in school can tell us what they think. It is checked every Friday at lunchtime.
Do they get anything done?
Good school councils do get things done! Some of our most recent examples include:
• Fund raising to buy games and activities for wet play times and lunchtimes.
• Fund raising for our nominated charity for this year, Magnolia House.
• Organising a talent show to raise money for Children In Need.
More about the School Council
The School Council plays a very important role in school life. We attend regular meetings and discuss important issues which may affect the pupils, parents and staff of Woodthorne Primaey School and the surrounding community. The Chairperson can put forward a motion to the other Councillors to invite visitors to the meetings to discuss particular projects. The secretary records minutes so that everyone can read what our meetings are about and what decisions we have made. The treasurer records the money that we raise and spend, so that we keep good accounts. We think our School Council helps to make Woodthorne Primary School a fantastic school!